It is not as though significant demand for outdoor space is a new thing from property buyers, but there has been a spike in demand in recent months. The impact of the COVID-19 pandemic will be felt in the housing market for many years. It is likely buyer behaviour has been influenced by what has happened in spring and summer of 2020, and vendors must respond to these changing needs.
So while garden space has long been important, it is now critical in connecting with buyers. If you have an outdoor space, you need to stage it in the manner you would stage the inside of your home. At Coakley & Theaker, we are here to assist you in staging your door space to sell your house.
The first monthly market survey report from the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) since the housing market re-opened provides a number of reasons why vendors must focus on the outside of their property.
The RICS survey collects opinions of agents across the country, so it offers useful insight into what property market professionals expect to see in the industry. The survey reported:
· 81% of agents predict an increase in desire for homes which have a garden or a balcony
· 74% of respondents predict an increase in demand for homes located close to a green space
· 68% of respondents believe properties with privacy and less communal space will be in greater demand
Simon Rubinsohn is the Chief Economist at RICS and he said; “There are already signs that those looking to buy a house are responding to the conditions created by the pandemic by seeking out properties with gardens or balconies and nearer green space. These and other similar features are likely to increasingly command a premium over higher-density urban locations, according to respondents to the survey.”
There has also been backing for these predictions from one of the leading property portals in the United Kingdom. Their studies suggest that while gardens have always been a popular search term for buyers, there has been an increase in prospective buyers looking for outdoor space in their next home.
Rightmove’s housing market analyst Miles Shipside said; “During lockdown people have been re-evaluating what their must-haves are, and both buyers and renters are craving a home with its own outside space rather than a flat. Usually home-movers tell us the kitchen photographs are the most important when they’re looking at a property advert, but now agents should consider giving greater prominence to pictures of gardens and outdoor spaces to attract the attention of prospective renters and buyers.”
There is consensus that outdoor space is important. Of course, when outdoor space becomes a common feature in the market, there is a need to ensure your garden stands out for the right reasons.
This is why staging outdoor space is going to become a critical feature in the property market.
· Always start with the decluttering and cleaning process, as this creates space and makes the area look more attractive
· Carry out repair work, focusing on paths, property walls and property doors and windows
· Create borders around different types of plants and flowers
· Mow the loan and ensure all borders are tidy
· Ensure all border barriers, such as fences, are in good condition
· Consider adding lighting to the outside of the property as this will enhance security, safety and functionality
· If you have space for people to gather, consider adding garden furniture
At Coakley & Theaker, we aim to support the local community as much as we can, and we know this is an extremely trying time. A lot of people are looking for support and guidance, and if you have any property or housing related questions, we are more than happy to assist you, so contact us today.